Orally Disintegrating Technology
A convenient alternative to conventional dosage forms, making a difference in patient experience.
Offering ease of use and convenience, orally disintegrating tablets (ODT) and powders (ODP) have become a preferred dosage form for consumers worldwide for medications in a variety of therapeutic areas. These include traditional over-the-counter (OTC) medicines such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, well-established prescription drugs such as montelukast and olanzapine, and a variety of other drugs for indications such as sleeplessness, erectile dysfunction, and migraine.
Orally Disintegrating Tablets
An orally disintegrating tablet is a solid-dosage form that disintegrates in the mouth without water in 30 seconds or less, thereby increasing convenience and compliance for a broad range of indications and patient types—including young or elderly patients who may have difficulty swallowing or chewing a conventional tablet, active people who prefer the convenience of taking an ODT that does not require water, and travelers or patients in locations with a limited or unreliable supply of safe water. Orally disintegrating tablets offer a variety of benefits for both patients and manufacturers, making the ODT dosage form a versatile option for many applications.
Benefits of ODT for Patients and Caregivers
- Allows accurate dosing—no risk of liquid spills
- Improved patient compliance—easier to take or administer than conventional tablets or liquid forms
- Ideally suited for non-ambulatory patients and those with difficulty swallowing or chewing
- More convenient than other dosage forms—easy to swallow, requires no water, and offers quicker onset of therapeutic action for some drugs
Benefits of ODT for Manufacturers
- A cost-effective way to extend your drug's life cycle—a new ODT formulation can create a branded, differentiated line extension
- Gain entry into new markets and patient populations
- Better stability than liquid dosage forms
- Help meet the growing demand for more patient-friendly and compliant dosage forms
At SPI Pharma, we have many innovative solutions that the industry relies on to develop orally disintegrating tablets (ODT) and powders (ODP). Our functional excipients, taste-masked actives, and comprehensive technical service and support can help you solve even your most challenging formulation problems.
Introducing UltraBurst, a novel, innovative excipient platform for ODTs. Delivering the fastest disintegration time of any preformulated products on the market while maintaining best in class hardness, friability, and API loading.
Pharmaburst® is the global standard for orally disintegrating dosage forms. It is fully optimized to deliver superior organoleptics and robust, rapidly disintegrating tablets.
Pharmasperse® is specifically engineered for the ready manufacture of orally dispersible powder (ODP) formulations intended for filling into sachets or stickpacks.
Lubripharm® Sodium Stearyl Fumarate is a lubricant used in pharmaceutical capsule and tablet formulations. It has superior performance compared to magnesium stearate, especially in orally disintegrating formulations.
Advantol® 300 is a leading-edge drug delivery system for the development of soft-chew tablets.
Pharmasolutions is a comprehensive drug development service focused on patient friendly dosage forms that can deliver convenience, compliance and efficacy.